In this section we hope to answer some of the most common questions we get asked concerning our drones. If you have another question or concern, please feel free to contact us via e-mail.
Yuneec Typhoon Q500, 4k
Photo taken near monument with Nikon 5300 DSLR
How high can your drones fly?
Q and A
- In keeping with FAA regulations, all of our drones are flown between 1 and 400 feet high. Exceptions to fly above 400ft can made, but we first need to obtain special wavier approvals from the FAA for your project. Let us know on our Contact Page if you believe you will need this option.
How far can you fly?
- Our drones are always operated within visual line of sight, which is typically around 1,500 feet.
How long can your drones stay airborne?
- The average flight time for our drones is 15-25 minutes depending on flight conditions and coverage needed.
If more time is needed, we can swap out batteries and continue from where we left off.
How fast can they go?
- Our drones have a top speed of 50mph.
Can you fly indoors?
- Yes we can. However, the environment would need to be fairly spacious, like a warehouse or a large maintenance garage.
Do you have a fail-safe system on your drones?
- Yes, all of our drones are equipped with a GPS fail-safe system that will automatically return the drone safely to its original take off location if there is a loss of signal or other problem.
Are you insured in case of an accident?
- Yes, MountainSky Aerial Photography,LLC is fully covered under Aviation Liability. We have a one-million dollar personal injury and property damage policy. Our operators have also undergone FAA Part 107 certification (FAA UAS Pilots) & training requirements.
Can you travel out of state?
- Yes we can. MountainSky Aerial Photography, LLC has global coverage on Aviation Liability Insurance, allowing us to do work all over the United States.
What drones do you use?
- Currently we use the DJI Phantom 4 Pro (Our work horse), The DJI Inspire 2 has proven to be our most versatile option of all the aerial UAVs we have flown allowing for multiple payloads, such as infrared and other sensors. We also use the DJI Mavic for certain locations and environments (close quarter flying), and the Yuneec Typhoon Q500, 4k.
What weather can you fly in?
- We do not fly in rain or snow. Strong wind gusts can also pose a problem, so we typically don't fly with wind speeds over 20mph. In all cases, the PIC has complete control over all flight operations.
Do you rent your drones for others to fly?
- No, we do not.
How much does it cost?
- We price each shoot differently depending on overall production needed. We do have set Real Estate Pricing for Aerial Photo's and Aerial video packages. You can easily request a quote from our Contact Page here. Please include any and all details regarding your shoot needs.
Do you have to be licensed?
- Yes. As of August of 2016, all commercial sUAS (Drones) pilots who fly for hire (commercial) are required to be licensed by the FAA under CFR 14 Part 107.
What if my buddy has a drone, can I hire him?
- You could, but there are severe civil and criminal penalties for both unlicensed pilots and those that hire them. Even if there is no money exchanged, it's still a crime under Federal Code of Regulations.